Daily Blog · Infertility · Life

Charlotte Ann Stein

Our sweet, spunky & sassy Charlotte (aka Charlee) Ann Stein’s birth story.

She was born on February 13, 2017. Since then, she has forever changed our lives!

charlotte ann stein birth story

Charlotte Ann Stein arrived February 13, 2017 at 3:26pm, measuring 21.5 inches long, and weighing in at 8lbs, 11oz.

She was delivered via c-section with healthy lungs the minute she came out.

I went through a total of 13 hours of labor, the last few happened to be some of the most difficult hours I’ve endured.

The journey started at the start of the day, 12:00am to be exact. Danny had already gone to bed, but per the usual, I could not get comfortable. That Sunday night, early Monday morning was different. I seriously could not get comfortable if my life depended on it. I tossed, I turned, I kept having to use the restroom. I tried the heating pad, I tried pillows, sitting up. You name it, I was not comfortable in any position I was in. I started to realize that I was feeling a pain in my back that I had not felt any other night. Seeing this was my first pregnancy, I had no idea what contractions felt like, but it started to dawn on me that these pains I was having were going in waves. I decided to start timing them with an app I had downloaded earlier that week. What I soon realized were contractions timing, on average, 6 minutes apart. This all went on for three hours before I decided to wake Danny up.

By 3:00am I remember going into our bedroom, calmly waking Danny saying, “Babe… I think it may be time. My back is KILLING me.”

I told him I was going to give the doctor a call and see what I should do. I did just that, and the doctor on call suggested I go in to get checked considering I was already 6 days past my due date. So, Danny and I started to get our bag together, and head to the hospital at 3:30am. I remember telling Danny to please go down the driveway backing out VERY slow. Any amount of movement made the pain worse for me. However, I kindly asked to please drive quickly and safely to the hospital.

By the time we got to the hospital it was around 3:45am.

Danny dropped me at the Emergency Department entrance so we could get upstairs to Labor & Delivery. Thankfully, by the grace of God there was barely any other moms there to deliver according to the nurse checking me in. I kept praying that I had progressed enough that they wouldn’t send me home, and sure enough I did! I was 3.5 cm dilated with the contractions getting tougher by the minute.

After going through triage, I was admitted, and blessed with two of the sweetest nurses. The first question my first nurse asked, “Do you want the epidural?” Quickly I said, “YES, PLEASE!!” We all laughed, and I began to REALLY feel labor kick in. I remember saying to the nurse, “I think I’m going to get sick. The pain is making me super nauseous.” Before anyone could get me anything, to the side of the bed I threw up. I am still so sorry to those nurses that had to clean that mess!!

Some time had passed, and the anesthesiologist had come in to give me my epidural. At this point I had hit 7 cm dilated. The epidural was by far, the scariest thing I’ve ever gone through. Not to scare you! BUT! I’m scared of needles already as it is, and now knowing this was going directly into my back scared the daylights out of me. Not to mention, my pain was at a 10 by this point, and I had to sit completely still in between contractions (which were one minute apart) for the procedure to be done. However, within minutes, that pain was gone. Gone completely! I was in complete shock. Now, you’d think I would get some sleep, but nope, I didn’t. By this time the sun was starting to rise, family was arriving, and just the adrenaline rush had me going to where I wasn’t ready to sleep.

Time had passed, and I rested off and on. I told Danny to hold off on anyone coming in for a bit so I could rest because I knew being at 7 cm, I was going to have to push in a few hours or so. I needed to save my energy! Well, hours passed and I got to 8 cm without my water breaking. My doctor had arrived to the hospital to check on me, and she broke my water. I had high hopes that things would really get going. They did, to a certain degree. I got to 9 cm, and that was about it. This is when things pretty much came to a stop…

My poor girl was wedged down in my left pelvic bone, and never fully dropped. My doctor decided to put a monitor directly on her head since she started to show signs of stress. Not to mention, I had been put into every position you could think of to try and get her to drop, but once I heard she was under a bit of stress, I got scared. My gut told me that maybe a natural birth of pushing, and having that moment of her placed skin-to-skin on my chest just wasn’t in store for me.

My doctor had gone back to the office to see patients from the time she was in, to the time I asked to phone her. I cried, and had a good 10 minute conversation with her about what my options were. Of course, there’s two. Push or c-section. I told her I was extremely exhausted from trying just to get her to drop, that I honestly don’t think I had it in me to even push IF we ever got there. I talked to Danny, and I came to the decision that a c-section was what I was going to go with. I didn’t want to wait it out for me to possibly never hit 10 cm to push. Within 30 minutes I was going in for surgery prep, and waiting anxiously on Danny to come into the operating room.

I remember being wheeled into the operating room, getting transferred to the operating table, and fading in and out.

I closed my eyes for a short moment until I felt Danny touch the back of my head, and I started crying. It was the excitement, nervousness of being cut open, and joy of meeting our daughter for the first time. However, it started to go south, for me. I remember telling my anesthesiologist that I was feeling very warm, and felt I was going to get sick. He told me that Charlee would be here very soon, so I held off of the thought of getting sick. I certainly didn’t want to be throwing up when she was going to be born. However, that didn’t happen.

Moments later, Charlotte Ann entered the world at 3:26pm.

I heard her lungs work in full action, and I got sick. After getting sick, my energy was shot, and with the amount of epidural medication I was given to numb me, I reacted poorly to it, and could not keep my eyes open. I vaguely remember looking over and seeing her getting cleaned up, and Danny cutting the cord. Then, there she was, behind me wrapped up, wide-open eyes, and I just cried. I cried because I wanted so badly to hold her, and kiss her, but I just couldn’t muster up the energy in that moment.

Here we are today, 3 months later with the most beautiful, sweet, and sassy girl God has given us.

nikki stein

Maybe at a later time I’ll touch base on my postpartum, and recovery, but for now I want to celebrate our beautiful angel. If you’re pregnant, or have never had a baby and plan to down the road, let me tell you the one line that is true, “time really goes by SO fast!” Without a doubt that is true. Enjoy your pregnancy no matter how difficult it may be. It is beyond bittersweet to give birth. You no longer will have that baby with you (literally) 24/7, but you get to meet your baby and create memories upon memories.

Danny and I cannot believe our sweet girl is 3 months already! Each month that passes, goes by faster than the last.

We’re so beyond blessed for our Charlee Bear, and loving every new memory we continue to make! 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *